Monday, August 17, 2015

Frustration in the land of Chronic Despair

Someone needs to create a diet/fitness/weight loss app/program for people that have chronic pain or illness and can't go balls to the wall when working out, needs more time to recover from ANY kind of work out (we are talking a day or two of rest from walking slowly, even short distances) and that can dedicate a good portion of the app to not just diet, but also chronic pain/illness friendly workouts. 

In the last 3 years I have easily gained 40 pounds due to being unable to do much of any kind of workout, including walking at a brisk pace for an extended amount of time, for any length of time without being down for the count for 3-4 days afterward. I can maintain that workout schedule for 1 to 1 1/2 weeks before my body crashes, and that is walking 3 to 4 times MAX in one week. It feels great while I am doing it, and for that week, but then my body shuts down with a giant screw you.

Eating "well" gets me nowhere either. I can eat anywhere between 1000 and 1200 cals a day and maintain or even gain weight. Same if I eat 2000 cals a day. 

I drink mostly water, with (at most) one cherry coke a day. But... It seems I get heartburn/reflux even when I'm eating small amounts of "regular" food. Nothing acidic, and nothing spicy. Water even causes reflux at times. 

I've been on Adipex (weight loss drug, prescription) for two months now, and have lost 4-6 pounds, all in the first month. The doctor wanted to switch me to Saxenda, but insurance won't cover it, and even WITH the manufacturer's savings card it is $977 a MONTH!!!!!  I simply don't have that kind of money to spend. 

So.... I'm at a loss, and feel completely defeated. I want to feel good again, AND feel good about myself again. I feel like that is never going to happen. 

Welcome to the inner dialogue from a frustrated woman saddled with Chronic Pain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment